Saturday 18 December 2021

 

Chapter 3   OH SEE SADIST   What I Learned  written 12-18-21

 


          When did I relate to O.C. Smith?  I think it was 1967 because I met him with friend Marlena & that was the time I was close to her – “66-“67….I read for the first time here he became a Pastor of a Church for 16 years, which makes me wonder what kind of a Church a sadist could run. 

From Wikipedia {not the complete article}: 


Ocie Lee Smith (June 21, 1932 – November 23, 2001), known as O.C. Smith, was an American musician. His recording of "Little Green Apples" went to number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1968 and sold over one million records.

After completing a psychology degree at Southern University, Smith joined the Air Force, and served throughout the U.S.Europe and Asia. While in the Air Force, Smith began entering talent contests and toured with Horace Heidt. After his discharge in July 1955, Smith went into jazz music to pay the bills.

Smith changed the first part of his name to O.C. and recorded the Bobby Russell-written song "Little Green Apples,"[4] which went to number 2 on the Hot 100 on 26 October 1968 and won Russell the 1969 Grammy Award for Song of the Year. It received a gold record from the R.I.A.A. for sales of one million records.[1]

He continued to record, reaching the R&B, Adult Contemporary and pop charts in his home country with the likes of "Daddy's Little Man",[4] "Friend, Lover, Woman, Wife", "Me and You" and "Love To Burn". He also returned to the UK Singles Chart in 1977 with "Together",[4] reaching a Top 30 position.[5]

After CBS, Smith united with Charles Wallert, who wrote and produced the title track as well as the album for "Dreams Come True" that returned Smith to the national charts. The Whatcha Gonna Do album, resulted in three nationally charted singles for a total of 40 weeks. This album contained "Brenda", "You're My First, My Last My Everything" and "Spark Of Love". Additional hits "The Best Out Of Me" and "After All Is Said And Done" established Smith as a Beach Music star. Nominated for six awards at the third Beach Music Awards, Smith captured five.

Smith became pastor and founder of The City Of Angels Church in Los AngelesCalifornia where he ministered for 16 years. One of his last recordings, "Save The Last Dance For Me" reached the number one position on the Rhythm n' Beach Top 40 chart.

Death:

On November 23, 2001, Smith died of a heart attack[6] in Los Angeles.

His book, Little Green Apples: God Really Did Make Them, that he co-wrote with James Shaw, was published posthumously in 2003.  {End Wikipedia} 






My account:  Marlena & I saw him at a club somewhere in LA, why we went to this particular place I can’t recall, but this man was performing & he was great.  His voice was great, his performance top notch.  I recall the song “That’s Life” – made famous by Frank Sinatra:

 

 That's life
(That's life)
That's what all the people say
You're riding high in April, shot down in May
But I know I'm gonna change that tune
When I'm back on top, back on top in June

I said that's life
(That's life)
And as funny as it may seem
Some people get their kicks
Stomping on a dream
But I don't let it, let it get me down
Cause this fine old world, it keeps spinnin' around

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet
A pawn and a king
I've been up and down and over and out

{Smith falls to the floor, audience screams}
And I know one thing
Each time I find myself
Flat on my face
I pick myself up and get
Back in the race

That's life
(That's life)
I tell you, I can't deny it
I thought of quitting, baby
But my heart just ain't gonna buy it
And if I didn't think it was worth one single try
I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet
A pawn and a king
I've been up and down and over and out
And I know one thing
Each time I find myself layin'
Flat on my face
I just pick myself up and get
Back in the race

That's life
(That's life)
That's life and I can't deny it
Many times I thought of cutting out but my heart won't buy it
But if there's nothing shaking come this here July
I'm gonna roll myself up
In a big ball and die
My, my

Source: Musixmatch

Songwriters: Gordon Kelly L / Thompson Dean K

That's Life lyrics © Bibo Music Publishing, Inc.

 


His voice was really good & he was handsome, too.  I deferred to friend Marlena who was attracted to him, & when he went outside on the street fans gathered ‘round.  I complimented him & told him my friend would like to go out with him & pointed out Marlena, who was sort of ‘hiding’ in a baggy shirt & jacket, by the wall, hardly any makeup, her frosted blonde hair looking stringy.  I knew she was beautiful & shapely but she had not fixed herself up to show it.

He looked at her & was not impressed.  I pitied her for not being ‘chosen’ but he wanted me.

He told me he was going to San Francisco next & would be happy to see me there.

 

I Make a Big Mistake & Learn My Lesson

 

          Here with my low self esteem I felt privileged when some stage celebrity picked me out.  ‘Wow’, I thought ‘He wants me’ like it was some big deal.  I was a 22 year old greenhorn, book smart, God-smart, but not ‘street smart.’  In fact, my low self esteem made me more vulnerable, gullible & naive than most women.  I was so used to being abused someone wanting me, who was a star, even a little star, sounded like big stuff.  I did not estimate my own appearance & womanhood having value, as I had been so put down & abused by family; they had taken away my confidence as a woman.  So now I felt ‘chosen’ & ‘privileged’ but was going to take another big plunge as super sucker.

          So I take a plane to San Francisco, my own money of course, to the designated dwelling of O.C. Smith – can’t recall walking into a hotel or motel it seemed like an apt he was borrowing or renting.  He gets me into bed – can’t recall anything about it {most sex is almost impossible to remember as they are mostly all alike} & then after that he puts me to work with tweezers trying to pull ingrown hairs out of his beard, & getting pissed when I’m not doing it right.

          I ask him about checking out the city of San Francisco, & he says,

          “Cities are all alike – You’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all.”

          Not an hour goes by that he says to me – He did not take me out for a meal, nothing –

          “Looks like my wife has unexpectedly arrived from out of town, you have to leave.”

          Wow, was I sucker punched.  I got there, he laid me, & within an hour, not spending one penny on me, not being just using my body, he gets rid of me.  I felt weird.  I thought ‘is he telling me the truth or just wants to get rid of me?’

          So I take a plane out of there & sit next to a man who turns out to be the vice president of the San Francisco Opera.  We hit it off as I’m a big fan of opera, ballet & classical music.  He invites me to a concert coming up in LA that very night conducted by a famous man like Toscanini.  I looked up Toscanini’s time zone, however, so I don’t think it could have been him – but someone very famous like him.  The concert was great & we go to meet the man in person at his dressing room.  We stand outside, my opera guy declares himself to the valet & we wait if he will accept us in.

          While we stand there who exits right in front of us but Fernando Lamas & Esther Williams – he saying

          “Mah – velous – Mah – velous” like the comedian later mocked him repeating it again & again.

          But we aren’t admitted – I guess my friend’s credentials didn’t cut the mustard, so that was that.  He tried to continue our friendship but I wasn’t into him, so it ended. 

Now the second & last time I saw Mr. Smith went like this.  I see him in a car somewhere in LA, surprised to see him, I had forgotten the affront, like it was maybe a year later.  I walk up to him & say hello in a cordial manner.

He then proceeds to speak to me in a sinister tone, like a Anthony Hopkins style how he would like to torture me & murder me.  He speaks slowly, deliberately.  I am in such a state of shock I just stand there, almost paralyzed like I just saw a 3-headed hydra.  Not sure how long I endured this – one minute was too much - & just walked away, numb with shock.






So that’s what he was - a genuine sadist who would like to torture & kill me.  And I never knew or could imagine that a man so talented, so good looking could be like this.  I am now reminded that many serial killers were/are charming, intelligent & handsome, the monster is hidden inside.  Think Ted Bundy, think Ian Brady who murdered 5 children aided by his gal pal. 

 Don’t judge a book by its cover, by talent, education, smartness, charm, nothing, what is inside is inside, it is the heart you cannot see it unless shown by the Holy Spirit.  Even people who do a great deal of GOOD DEEDS can be demonic – they do good to get into your graces so they can be in a position to hurt you later on – after your guard is down & they get their chance.

So this man became a Pastor.  Sounds dangerous.

Channeling:  I asked him why did you become a Pastor?

OCS  {O.C. Smith}:  Because it was a good job, I could make a lot of money.  I knew I looked good, sounded good, I could perform.  Many women would follow me & I could put on a good act. 

ME:  It wasn’t for the love of God & wanting to save souls? 

OCS:  Haha, you know better than that, having seen my evil side. 

 ME:  Your vibration seems low.  I still sense a lot of evil from you.  You must be far from cleansed. 

OCS:  I am that.  It’ll take a long time for the hate within me to dissipate.   

ME:  How many people did you hurt besides me?  

OCS:  Too many to count. 

ME:  OK that’s enough from you.  Don’t want to think about you any more.


https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/rasavonwerder













 

2 comments:

  1. This one came out great as usual, Rasa. Very interesting indeed. The artwork and fuzzies complement it nicely. I will be sure to share it.

    Wow, that guy sounds quite evil indeed. But sadly, he is not an aberration, but men like that are quite common in patriarchal churches. Patriarchy is the problem, what was the question?

    Best wishes,
    Ajax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ajax. He was one of the most evil men I dealt with. I am now working on Otis Redding who was a good guy. There will be a dozen more you might have heard of.

    ReplyDelete