Thursday 28 July 2022

 

 

Chapter 8  Canadian / Frenchmen vs American

 

First time in Canada  Nov 1977, “Sex-Tuple” Club

written   7-28-22  

 


                   Yes, I called the press myself – the club did not, as usual, most of them did NOTHING.

I got on the FRONT PAGE of the Star, & front page of the Entertainment section of the Gazette, both Nov 18.  Star said “Stripper Peels for Church” & the other said “Kellie Spreading the word & gets down to bare facts.”

When I walked into the club that night the staff gazed at me in wonder.  They never heard of contacting the press?

 

Wish I could recall more details, it pays to keep a diary.

Most of Montreal is French, most men who owned dance venues were French, & I also went out a time or two  {perhaps not this trip but the next} & met French men.  How are they different in general from Americans?  Think refinement, manners, class vs crudeness, lack of manners & no class.  That’s the different between Europeans & Americans.  I felt I was ‘home’ as my initial teachings in all manners socialization were European.  I became more ‘crude,’ less refined as the years went along as I was out of step with the Americans.

  One example – as a child – when an adult walks into a room, you stand up out of respect.  I never saw anyone do that but me.  I did it in a dentist office when I was 9 years old – a Lithuanian lady dentist - & the incoming clients were started.  The dentist told them,

“She is very polite.”

I recall surprisingly one of the managers turned me down for sex.  It was close to the time I would take a vow of celibacy which I kept {until God told me to stop} for 30 years, so it was maybe my ‘last chance.’  He was handsome & sexy, refined. 

But you can’t win them all – he might have been in love with someone, or gay, or just wasn’t attracted to me.

I recall vividly that the owner complained my act was too long – it was about 20 minutes.  I liked it that way.  But he had plenty other dancers that had to perform.









He got me the best deal of my life – a professional tape maker who could get almost any song I thought of – many were rhythm & blues.  He put together shortened acts for me – about 9 or 10 – that I used for the rest of my career, where he introduced me through an echo chamber in both French & English.  It sounded posh, lol.

He got me every song I loved, except one.  I wanted “Lost Someone” by James Brown, but he could only get it in cha-cha form, of all things.  That wouldn’t set the mood of “I Lost Someone” at all.

I do recall my diet.  No breakfast, then dinner before the 4 shows at night.  I did not eat the bread, & kept it for the ‘midnight snack” later that night – always rye.  I kept thin that way.  Of course, I was young.  When you get older to stay thin you have to starve even more, at times, I’ve been able to do it, but sometimes I can’t.  You say to yourself,

“What am I starving for?”

There has to be a goal – like training for a beauty or body building contest, or else you’re dating & must look perfect.  But when all that is gone, the inspiration for starvation goes away.  And there goes your “Body Beautiful USA”.  It’s hard for me to see “the most beautiful” or “most perfect body in the world” {how they advertised me at times} go away.  Oh well, I have the pics to prove it, can I stay perfect forever?  What’s the point?

 

Second trip to CanadaJuly 10, 1978  - 4 week engagement

 

I got into many newspapers:  Multiple covers of a large color French paper called ‘Minuet,’  ‘New Saturday’ ‘The Sunday Express’, the ‘National Examiner’ & ‘The Journal of Montreal’ in French.

 






On this trip I preached for National Unity in front of the Canadian Peace Tower in Ottawa – Aug 1, 1978 – one of the men who worked at the club drove me there – a long trip, like 1.5 hours, I was half asleep the entire way, as we stay up late to work & I had to got up way early for this.  Because of that speech I get even more press.  I wonder if the Queen of England made a trip there not long after that to also confirm national unity.  Had I inspired her?

Why did I go there & do this?  There’s a strong reason.  When I preached in front of the White House earlier that year – June 16, 1978 – the Associated Press photographer {all the shots I have on that event he gave me} was from Canada, & he said,

“You should preach in front of the Canadian Parliament.”

And so I did.  Several reporters asked me what I thought of the situation & I said I prayed & felt God wanted national unity, so I preached it.

 

There were several small things that happened there & one big thing.  The small things first.

There was one dancer there whose costumes were not up to par.  She was also average in looks.  She was booked for $600 a week, {I was now graduated from 750 US Bucks last trip to 1k this trip – look at the publicity I garnered – through my efforts, not theirs} but the owner chopped her down to $500 & of course she hurt.

There was a tiny little Asian girl doing what I thought would be an Asian dance, but wow, did she mess that up!  Instead of doing a genteel, elegant dance as Asians do, she was all over the place with this tall cone-shaped headdress, the headdress moving to the side, down, everywhere, looking totally awkward & inappropriate.  I took some pics of her & they reminded me she was flat chested & not so pretty.  Not star material.

A third female did a ‘fire act.’  This was incredibly annoying, as the slimy concoction she used on her body to fire up was all over the stage, as I went after her, & it was slippery.  You’re wearing high heels on this slippery surface & you can fall.  I complained that they had to wipe the stage after her performance – they acted like I was asking for something outrageous. 

There was a super handsome French man with honey blonde hair & a gorgeous body who bought me a drink.  His girl friend was a dancer & a mental case.  He told me about it.  She kept screaming to him,

“Why can’t I love you?”

over & over.  I could not fathom the problem.

The next time I saw him I had removed half my makeup between shows, he greeted me like he didn’t know me.  It was then I began to realize men are completely fooled by our makeup.  So keep using a lot of makeup, they are blind.

 









I do recall going to Church daily here.  One Cathedral was on the way.  I’d get there just in time for Holy Communion, sorry God, I just couldn’t get up in time to attend the whole Mass.  Sometimes as I got there I would practically run in, the sweet white haired Priest waited with the Communion for me to come up, as the entire line was already served.  Receiving the Lord’s Body & Blood gave me the strength, the light & love I needed for life.  There was no human who sustained me through all of life, only God.

There was another Cathedral – How I wish I could recall the name – I went when there were no services.  I walked all though it, in the back there was all kinds of wood, with wooden small statues interspersed in the wood, can’t explain it, like secret, secluded spaces, the most mystical, spiritual feeling I’d ever felt in a Church.  But when I went there for a Mass, all the Spirit was gone.  All lit up, the people there, no more magic.  Bright lights & lots of people can spoil a mystical mood.

 

          OK, the bad stuff.

 

 Myself, the girl that I told you got docked, & a couple other dancers had a pow wow.  Sisters rarely get together like that, & we spoke of the situation of women, how we get fukked over by men & how they are all perverts.  That’s what women think behind your back – they don’t love you like you think they do – it’s all an act.

 

The very next day Docked Dorothy went with a guy & one of our sisters – a gorgeous Mulatto dancer, to this club after hours.  And the owner raped the beauty right on his stage!

Dorothy & her date didn’t do anything, just sat there not knowing what to do.  They thought they were locked in as there was a big key chain on the door.  They asked the owner to let them out – he said it wasn’t locked.

They went to the police & the victim the next day pressed charges.  But the charges were dropped because she was afraid of the man – he threatened some kind of retaliation & that was it.

We all sat there sadly, the fate of women.

  {End Chapter 8}













 

3 comments: