Sunday 24 July 2022

Places I worked--People I Met

 

Places I worked - People I met


Sin Luvee Gets Kicked Out

 

          It was early in my strip career, maybe 1973 because Johnny Pons was the manager & he was there for me re publicity.  We worked together to get some press – he was on the ball {most managers/owners hadn’t a clue.}

The beginning I wasn’t secure – no one is.  Was I passable, OK or good?  It was hard for me to tell even though the New York audience was the easiest to please & applauded for everything.








So one time this nice looking stripper {Her name had to word ‘sin’ in it – NOT Sintana –but I can’t recall it} comes in, older than me, maybe 35, experienced.  She hangs around, so does her loser boyfriend.  We talk.

After a while she makes me an offer, now get this,

“I will TEACH YOU to strip.” Etc etc.

And I have to PAY HER.

I actually thought about it – maybe she could give me some pointers, but it got me extremely depressed that she thought so little of my abilities.

I told Johnny Pons her offer & next thing I know she storms into my dressing room & says,

“What did you tell Johnny Pons?  He told me to just get the fuck out of the theater & never come back!

So she was thrown out & that was EXACTLY THE RIGHT THING TO DO.  Johnny was savvy & he knew immediately this would have demoralized me & she was taking advantage of my naiveté.  So he was a mensch.









Joe Stricken--Sammy the Mgr & Prayers for Strippers

 

Joe Stricken was obsessed with me.  He followed me around like a lost dog when I walked down the street.  One time an officer was near & I just looked at him & he knew – he told Joe

“Get away from her.”

Joe came to every performance of mine at every place in NYC.

One time we had a gay manager at the Melody.  He was Latin, short & stocky, a great guy.  He was redecorating, cleaning & painting.  He hired Joe to help.  But Joe was in my dressing room so long, when the job should have taken 45 mins he was there like 3 hours.  Sammy decided to sneak up on him to see what he was doing.

He said Joe was just holding my wig to his face – not working, & moaning over & over again,

“Kellie, oh Kellie, I love you.”

He told him to get to work or get the fuck out. 









Sammy told me his heartbroken story.  He’d been in love with a guy for years, & the poor bloke died.  Sammy cried when he told me.  I felt so sorry.

That night he was shutting down the theater in front – where you pull down those metal grids so no one breaks through the front windows, when a guy walked tup to him & started talking.

He told the guy the theater was closing up, sorry.  The guy kept talking.  But there are no girls here now, Sammy said, but the guy said,

“I don’t want a girl, I want you.”

Shocked {the guy was handsome} Sammy took him upstairs for sex, & while the guy was fucking him, Sammy said,

“Kellie.  I know it’s Kellie,”

{meaning I caused this boon}

And the guy said,

“Who’s Kellie?  This is for Kellie, & he thrust hard & had his orgasm.”

Sammy told me the story smiling.

 

Pray for Females

 

          I did NOT put out any offers or invitations, but each stripper in our theater – the Melody – came to me one by one for counsel & prayer.  Each told me her story of sorrow & woe; I listened with empathy & said deep hearted prayers.

As I look back on my life things begin to add up.  I think there’s an instinct or a vibe that people pick up, knowing I am sent by God & represent Her – not too many words need be spoken, people just give off certain energies.  No other female I met ever in my work or travels had my vibes or interests at heart – the way some men were obsessed with me, I was obsessed with God.  I guess I talked about God constantly, at that time I was still under the sway of Rev. Judy Swaggart {I finally quit her in 1976} & probably talking about her Anointing & Church.  So what stripper or adult trade worker does that?  If you talk about God constantly, you must be of God.

 

Harlow’s a Female Gets Hysterical

 

There was a House of Therapy downstairs called the ‘Lucky Lady Lounge’ & some of the unfortunate females came up & spoke to me.  One became totally hysterical, had a nervous breakdown when she heard me preach.

She spoke in broken terms so you could not make sense of her words, she was crying, & she cried something like,

“I am just like her, she’s just like me.  They tell me I’m trash, I’m no good, but she is preaching?  How can she preach?  Am I OK then, am I trash or am I alright?  Because we’re doing the same thing.”

 

Her words did not make sense like that, but I got the meaning.  I was breaking the stereotype that we women in the adult trade are whores.  I proved we can be within the Grace of God.  They had convinced her she was a whore & outside Her Grace, so this was an upheaval & a shock to her, her mind just broke down from the shock.

Somehow I comforted her, don’t even remember how, but she finally calmed down after 20 minutes of screaming.

 

At another club – way far away in space & time – It was in the South, a truck stop, a female named Brandy went hysterical screaming,

“You are my Mother, you are my Mother!”

She had been adopted & didn’t know who her Mom was, & had been praying for years to find her, & she was convinced I was it.

But I told her I couldn’t be, as I was only a few years older than her.  I told her God must have been telling her I was her SPIRITUAL Mother.

It took her a long time to calm down.

 

I think this was Wheeling, West Virginia, I vaguely recall but not sure.  Instead of calling me the ‘Preacher’ they just couldn’t.  They called me ‘The Preacher’s Daughter.’  That went with their culture & religion, it was shocking enough to say that much less than, SHE is the real Preacher!

At times I gave a sermon here, another time I tried & one female laughed so loud, like a hyena, I couldn’t go on.  She just wouldn’t stop, she drowned out my words.

 

One sad note in Wheeling.  Most of the time men came to me for prayer between shows.  I hung around in the pool table / lounge area to meet folks.  One guy told me this, that his daughter got a fatal illness.  He promised God he would give 3k to the Church if God would cure her – She did.

 

But he reneged on the promise.  Some time later, the illness came back.

I said to the man,

“You still have time to keep that promise, give the money to the Church.  But he walked away sad, I shall never forget it, he did not want to give the money. 


















Another man had a better outcome.  He came to me for prayer re his life, he was unhappy.  I prayed.  The next day he came back beaming,

“I sold my truck!  After you prayed I had the guts to do this, I quit, I want to spend more time with my family!  He thanked God profusely for helping him.  I shall never forget how happy he was.

 

I told the story elsewhere how in Montreal I witnessed a suicide.  A man jumped on the track in front of the subway train & was killed.  I signed the deposition as I was the only one who did not jump back, just stood there & looked.  I went to the officer’s place next day & asked what happened.  He said the guy had mental illness – The guy he was with was his lover.  He said to him,

“Tell me you love me, or I will jump on the track.”  But the guy wouldn’t, so he jumped.

That day I began praying to God to give me someone I could prevent from suicide.

A few months later, at the Plaza Theater in Wash D.C. {not the time I preached in front of the White House, the next time I was there} came to me & told me he had lost his job & his girl friend & he wanted to kill himself.  I held his hands & prayed for 20 minutes.  I then said,

“How do you feel?”

He said,

“I don’t want o kill myself any more.”

Suddenly I remembered what I had asked God months before.   {End Chapter 4}














2 comments:

  1. Great work, Rasa. This one came out excellent as usual, very interesting, with great artwork and plenty of fuzzies of course.

    ReplyDelete